Since I was a teenager, I grappled with combination skin. I’ve been jumping from one soap to another, but I couldn’t find one that I could use for long periods of time. That was the case until I came across the Cleansing Bar by Human Nature. After using it, I noticed the good effects immediately. I can attest to the benefits of using them in everyday life. I’ve listed some of the best products and practical life hack below.
- T-shirts: Cotton Club, H&M and Brute(L), thin and loose, but I also buy any brand as long as it’s made of 100% cotton, plain, with no design, and colors that are light shades of gray, blue, yellow, pink, and brown.
- Pants & shorts: Uniqlo (M) thin, loose type, lots of pockets, garterized hip with tie, garterized ankle.
- Boxer shorts: Carter, Burlington & BioFresh, Hanford (M), loose type.
- Undies: Brute (XL), Carter, Burlington & BioFresh (M), trunk type, 100% cotton.
- Shampoo: Human Nature Anti-dandruff Shampoo
- Shaving Cream: Human Nature
- Hand Sanitiser: Human Nature or Arokuro Ethyl Alcohol from Daiso
- Hand Wash: Dr. Wong’s Sulfur soap
- Soap: Dr. Wong’s Sulfur soap. Terrasil is effective but mild antifungal soap. Purchase it here for a reasonable price and free shipping, but with a minimum amount required. From time to time, I treat my body with Derma-Nu Antifungal Body Wash and Therapeutic Soap.
- Deodorant: Human Nature Deodorant or Old Spice or Dove. I’ll be trying Coconut Matter.
- Toothpaste: Human Nature Sensitive Gel Toothpaste or Sensodyne Repair
- Toothbrush: Colgate Cushion Clean Soft Toothbrush
- Dental Floss: Watson’s or Med o Guard
- Shave: Schick Exacta II
- Napkin/Pantyliner: Jeunesse
- Cotton Buds: From Daiso are good.
Health and Medicines:
- Cough: Lagundi syrup and/or Banaba tea.
- Cold/Runny Nose: At first sign of cold, use Betadine Nasal spray. Vitamin C every meal, drink lots of water, eat “laswa” or veggie soup, take plenty of rest and sleep early. For runny nose, Salinase Nasal Drops.
- Headache/Migraine: Advil or any generic Ibuprofen.
- Dizziness/Nausea: Human Nature Soothing Balm or Bonamine.
- Mouth Wash: Human Nature Mouthwash or Betadine.
- Mouth Sores: Apicuria Oral Spray or Human Nature Mouthwash or Orofar L.
- Sore Throat: Apicuria Oral Spray or Kamillosan or Bactidol lozenges. Apicuria tastes better, but Kamillosan is more effective. Drink hot calamansi juice.
- Skin wound: Povidone Iodine, Oregano and Aloe Vera leaves.
- Athlete’s Foot: Human Nature Foot Spray or Povidone Iodine.
- Arthritis/Pain Reliever: Salabat/ginger tea, Mefenamic Acid.
- Multivitamins: Now Foods Daily Vits and Now Foods Vitamin D3.
- Sleeping Aid: Add a dab of Human Nature Lavender Oil on the pillow. Drink red wine.
- De-worming: Mebendazole.
- Constipation: Eat veggies daily, Banana, Oatmeal, McVities. In emergency cases, I take Bisacodyl/Dulcolax.
- Dry skin: Human Nature Virgin Coconut Oil or Sunflower Oil.
- Insect bites/skin irritation: Human Nature Rescue Balm.
- Facemask: Ilwoul from South Korea is reusable and breathable. For cloth type I use Hanes facemask.
Working long hours in front of the laptop has a lot of side effects. But most concerning is eye strain. Computer screens are bright and staring at them without blinking results in dryness and redness of the eyes, blurred vision, and migraines. Desktop, laptop, tablet, and mobile phone screens emit blue light, which disrupts sleeping patterns.
According to a study, eye strain affects some 90% of people who spend at least 3 hours a day in front of a computer.
One way to ease eye strain is to follow the 20-20 rule. This means that every 20 minutes, you should look at an object around 20 feet away and stare at it for 20 seconds. This way, you’re giving your eyes a break. But this is difficult to apply in real life. Like me, for example, when I’m focused on work I tend to forget a lot of things. There was even a time I wasn’t aware my neighbor’s house next door was on fire, haha. More info here.
To remedy this, use software and web apps. F.lux is desktop software that adjusts the color of the screen to negate the side effects of blue light. It activates in the evening and gradually turns the screen color to a tinge of orange by nighttime.
EyeLeo reminds you to rest your eyes by taking a short or long break. One of the excellent features is the eye exercises. It also has a strict mode that prevents you from skipping breaks. A must-have feature for workaholics like me, haha. EyePro is of a similar mold, but with more extra features.
You can get more Windows 10 options here.
You can also take eye supplements. I personally use Now Foods Ocu Support with 100 mg of bilberry extract, which I find effective against blue light. It is taken 3 times a day with food.
If ever you decide to go for glasses, choose a frame that is lightweight and durable. Small lens may look cute but I prefer larger lens.
To fix some common sleep problems, read this.
Hydrogen peroxide is a colorless liquid readily available in grocery stores and pharmacies. It has powerful oxidizing properties, which makes it an effective disinfectant. It is also an ideal bleaching agent. But that’s not all, it has more household uses than you can imagine.
I mainly use it to wipe clean molds that grow on cabinets during the rainy season. See video below and be amazed.
Lighting: Phillips LED bulbs, brighter and long-lasting. Choose the warm white tone. Smart light bulbs automatically turn on when dark and off when sunrise. Some light up when there is movement and turn off when there’s none. It is best if they are placed outside the doors, house corners, and gates.
Use beeswax candle as they have lots of benefits. Made from the caps of bee honeycombs, beeswax candles burn clean, are very long-burning, and give off a pleasant natural fragrance as they burn. Beeswax candles are dripless when burned properly, and release negative ions which help clean the air in a room. It is also renewable.
Batteries & chargers: Rechargeable Eveready AA or AAA batteries and chargers. Don’t buy China made, they can explode and cause fire.
Dishwashing: Human Nature Dishwashing Liquid.
Laundry: Human Nature Detergent. I recently encountered Terra Wash + Mg Eco Laundry Sachet. The active ingredient is magnesium, which can act like soap when it comes in contact with water, effectively removing dirt and sebum. You can save water and electricity as there’s no need to rinse repeatedly.
Cookware: Use wooden rice and soup spoon, frying shovel and spatula. Or metal, don’t use plastic.
Cooking Ingredients: Turmeric, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Oregano, Iodized Salt. For cooking oil, I use Minola with Lauric Acid pouch and transfer the contents to an empty Jolly Canola oil bottle which is spill-proof.
Dinnerware: Made of glass, ceramic, porcelain, or opal. Corelle and Luminarc are very good brands. Don’t use plastic for hot foods.
Food storage: Made of glass or ceramic with an airtight cover of either plastic or bamboo. Omega and Home Gallery are cheap but good brands.
Bed & Cover Sheets, Pillows & Covers: Dakki brand are 100% cotton material, light, thin and durable. I would love to try the bamboo-based products in Linen and Homes. Use waterproof covers for bed sheets and pillows to prevent sweat, dirt, and stains from accumulating. Another option is WonderSlumber.
Towel: 100% bamboo fiber. I’ll try the Misu Towel.
Snacks: bananas and other fruits, Quaker Oats, McVities.
Drinks: Al Di Turmeric Tea + Calamansi, Ginger + Turmeric, or just plain Ginger Brew, can be served hot or cold. Yakult for probiotics. Non-fat Milk in a tetra pack. Swiss Miss or Coccoa. Red wine helps calm the brain and makes you sleep.
Sweetener: Stevia or Coco Sugar
As an off-the-shelf rinse aid to prevent calcium carbonate deposits on dinner wares and utensils, I use a half cup of distilled white vinegar. It is effective as a water softener.
To prevent ants coming to your food, place it on top of a pet food bowl with moat and add cooking oil on the moat. Its very effective.
Please note: Do not order online any glass or fragile items, as they can break easily.
To prevent mold growth and odor in clothes, bedding, etc., store items inside vacuum plastic. Buy a vacuum to use as a suction tool. Placing dehumidifiers near closets also works. Some natural dehumidifiers are silica gel, rock salt, charcoal, and baking soda. What I find very effective are plants. Here’s a list of essential oils to help disinfect the air. I use Thieves Oil for aromatherapy.
It’s a perfect service when a telco offers a plan that doesn’t expire. It happens that GoMo offers just that. Their sim comes with 30 GB of data, plus it’s convertible to call and text. Order online and have it shipped for free for just 299 PHP. That’s less than 100 PHP per 10 GB, which is a steal. Aside from call and text, you can subscribe to HBO Go. Using Mo Creds, you can exchange 7 GB of data for a voucher good for one month. It cost less than 100 PHP. Use my code: RICT3974 to get an extra 1 GB of data. Take note: the sim expires after 1 year of no purchases, so keep it active by buying data.
Before sleeping and after waking, give thanks for all the blessings received for the day and being given another day. When you wake up, don’t stand up immediately. Stay in bed for a while, think or talk and feel your body, then sit at the bedside for a moment more, before standing up. Then drink at least a glass of water.
When taking a bath, gradually wet the lower body first: feet, legs, and thighs. Then the arms, stomach, back, neck, ears, and lastly the face and hair. This will help the body adjust to the water temperature. Then shampoo your head, wash your face, and then your body.
Thinking of preparing for the inevitable? Don’t waste precious time and get a life plan from St. Peter. You can create an account for free and select a plan later. Use my referral code: RICA0262-P.
I will be adding more to this list as I discover more practical and good-quality products.
Affiliate Disclosure: Post may contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thank You.